Tuesday, December 7, 2010

10K Training Week 5 Day 2

I have decided to focus on resistance training until my foot feels good enough to continue my 10K training. I had not worked out with my friend Patrick since the middle of September. I decided since it is Tuesday (the day we had worked out together in the past) that I would see if he was available. He had a final then was going to go to the gym and run on the treadmill till I got there. He asked if I wanted to do upper body and I said anything is fine.
We started out with forearms and shoulders. He handed me a 15 lb dumbbell and said he found a new exercise. You take one dumbbell in both hands and stick your arms straight out from body parallel to the ground. You use your hand to roll the dumbbell like a wheel rolling away from your body for 30 seconds. We did two sets and it was hard to fit both of my hands because they are kinda wide but I could feel it was effective.
Next we did 2 sets of 15 side raises and front raises. Then we went to the military press (always leaves me with DOMS). He said we should start with just the bar since it has been a few months. I insisted we put 2.5lbs on each side just to have something. We ended up doing 6 sets in a pyramid (5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 10lbs).
Next we moved to the bence press (my favorite thing about not exercising alone) we put 25 lbs on each side and Patrick said to do one full range of motion rep follow one pushing only halfway up. It was really tough and I had to focus on form and the breathing felt weird. We did 2 sets at 50lbs then 1 set at 40lbs. After this we were going to do decline press. The only decline bench was taken so I suggested to use an adjustable bench and two dumbells. We did 3 sets (35 lb each hand then 40 lb and 45 lbs).
Next we did our tricep workout. Using a 50 lb fixed weight barbell we did skull crushers followed by tricep dips on the side of the bench. We did 3 sets with the 3rd dropping the weight to 40 lbs and doing 15 reps.
At this point I thought I was done because I am not usually at the gym past 8pm. Patrick wanted to show his new AB workout routine. His discription sounded tiring. I tried to start it but doing sit-ups with a weighted ball proved too be too challenging. I did my own Ab workout of just body weight crunches then I called it a night.
I left gym with a feeling I had not felt in a while. Muscles sore and pumping with blood and I remember why I loved it in the first place. I plan to continue working with Patrick atleast one day a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment