Tuesday, July 10, 2012

C5W5D - HIIT/5K

We both got out of bed before 5am again today. Ellen whipped up some breakfast and threw it in the oven to bake while we workout. We drove to the gym parking low and Ellen went inside to use the elliptical while I headed to the sidewalk for an outdoor HIIT/5k run.

 It was nice and cool at 5:30 this morning when I started my run. I set out with the mindset "This is a training run not a race" due to all the new PRs I have been setting lately. I pushed hard at my high points and let myself recover at the low points. After the first mile I knew I would not beat my previous best distance. Each training run is a building block on the previous and I am working toward a long term goal, 26.2 miles. I just enjoyed the nice breeze and kept going at a level above comfort but below max effort. I did 2.4mi of HIIT in 20 minutes then finished out to a 5k in 25:37.

 This week I am moving up from running 3 days a week to 4 to prepare myself for the training volume increase in 4 weeks. I have been running 8-12 miles a week for the last month and even less than that during my 8 weeks of "Barefoot" Training. I will be working up to running 19 miles my first week of marathon training. I start August 7th.

Here is my new running schedule for the rest of the month.
Tuesday: HIIT/5k
Wednesday: 2 miles race pace
Thursday: Normal 5k run
Saturday: 7-9 miles



No comments:

Post a Comment