Friday, June 29, 2012

16 Weeks under 172

16 Weeks under 172

Back in February I broke my nearly 2 year long plateau of 172 pounds. It was just 3 days before I injured my knee during a long training run that ended my Marathon training right at the halfway point. 6 week later I dipped below it again and have managed to stay under 172 due to giving up bread and embracing a Primal/Paleo diet. 

Since September 2009 I have used a "Ceiling Weight", a weight I won't let myself get above and take action if I reach it. Last August I decided that 190 was not serving me well and a 15+ pound weight fluctuation was too much work so I changed my ceiling weight to 180 pounds right at the start of training for my first Half Marathon. It changed the way I treat myself nutritionally and other than a bad weekend in December I have managed to stay below 180.

After eating bread at Easter after giving it up for 40ish days for lent I decided 170 would be my new ceiling weight. I developed this idea after reading the book Racing Weight and calculating my idea running weight is 160ish and it said to not let yourself gain more than 8% in the off-season. 

I want to continue to improve my fitness and leaness instead of just undoing a few weeks to months of poor nutrition. Right now I am just above 12% body fat and my long term goal I set in October 2009 is below 10%. I start training for the Dallas "White Rock" Marathon in 5 weeks and plan to be in my ideal racing weight to improve performance and reduce the risk of injury. 

16 weeks of success down and 23 weeks until the Marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment